Friday, November 6, 2009

Daring Cooks November Challenge - Sushi




The November 2009 Daring Cooks challenge was brought to you by Audax of Audax Artifex and Rose of The Bite Me Kitchen. They chose sushi as the challenge.

Sushi is not something I make at home very often. Firstly becuase once I buy all the toppings and assemble, I have way too much sushi, and it's pretty much the same, price as going out to eat it. If I wasn't able to get good sushi, quite cheeply, I might make it more often. I do make these maki rolls, for lunch boxes and obento.





Tuna and Cucumber - can't beat the classics.


If you are interested in making your own, here are a few resources.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9hVp4Sd9NU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdQzX9SR_gk&feature=related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sushi_and_sashimi_ingredients_and_styles

I usually cheat, and make the quick rice verson.

2 cups of rice
2 1/2 cups of water

Bring to the boil uncovered, lower heat, simmer untill the water is no longer visable over the rice. Take off heat, cover and let sit for 15-20 minutes.

Place on large plate, sprinkle with sushi vinager, stirring with a chopping motion. Allow to cool. Create your sushi.

My favorite is canned tuna mixed with a little kewpie mayo, layer with cucumber strips and roll. Slice with a wet knife. Serve with pickled ginger and wasabi.

9 comments:

  1. I love the quick version of the recipe I will have to try it soon. And your nigiri looks so yummy. And I love the simplicity of the tuna and cucumber is so cool and tasty. Lovely photos. Cheers from Audax in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tuna and cucumber sounds divine and quick. a lovely combination in my world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girsl love the cucumber ones! I tend to do the hand rolls for us and the rolls for the girls. We are big fans of salmon, avocado and mayo. And friend of ours brought us mayo from japan, wow, what a difference to the one we hve here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love tuna and cukes combination as well. Did you mix some nori w/ your rice? I like that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I'm all about quick versions of things :D There's not enough time in a day as it is! Beautifully done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sushi is stunning. Flat-out gorgeous! I love the flavours you used =D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have stuff my dragon roll with tuna and cucumber too. They taste fabulous.

    Nice sushis and beautiful pictures. Great job!

    Regards
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sushi turned out so beautiful. Love the first photo with the variety and presentation, plus the tuna and cuke - you're right, can't go wrong with classic! Amazing job!

    ReplyDelete

fragiletiger@hotmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...